2.28.2009

44 Years of Stuff: "Life of Brian" Bumper Sticker


It was Friday, August 17, 1979, and one of the movie theaters in Westwood had thrown down the gauntlet; the first 100 people who came to see the first showing of "Monty Python's Life of Brian" on its opening day would receive a free T-shirt and bumper sticker. Heck, that alone was worth more than the inflated $5 we had to pay to go see a movie "over the hill."

A friend of mine and I were not about to let the fact that we were still a year away from driving age deter us from such a prize. So we got on our bicycles in the Valley and pedaled almost nine miles over Benedict Canyon in the hot August summer. I remember what a great relief it was to coast down the other side on the way to Westwood, and how some stiffness had already set into my muscles when the movie ended and we had to go back. I can't believe we took our bikes through such a dangerous pass, especially now that I know how aggressive things can get trying to drive a car through there as an adult. But I got my sticker, and the accompanying cheap tan T-shirt with a black-and-white "Life of Brian" poster shot ironed on to the front. I'm sure that's around here somewhere, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow -- I was at that same showing, that Friday.

Was visiting a friend in L.A., and -- like you -- we were two 15 year-olds who went to the screening at the theater in Westwood.

In typical 15 year-old fashion, I peeled the bumper sticker and stuck it on the back of the movie theater seat in front of me.

As for the t-shirt, I wore it for years. It was cheap!